Caltech's WAVE Fellows program aims to foster diversity by increasing the participation of students historically marginalized in science and engineering Ph.D. programs and making Caltech's programs more visible and accessible to students not traditionally exposed to Caltech. The program is extended, but not limited, to racially minoritized communities, women (in certain fields), first-generation college students, geographically underrepresented students, educationally or financially disadvantaged students, and students with disabilities. All applicants will be considered without regard to race or gender.
WAVE Fellows will have the opportunity to conduct research under the guidance of Caltech faculty working at the frontier of their fields.
- Applicants will identify several possible mentors with whom they are interested in working.
- Once accepted, Fellows will work with their mentor to define and develop a research project.
- Fellows will carry out the work over a 10-week period during the summer and submit two interim reports, a research abstract, and final paper. At the conclusion of the program, students give an oral or poster presentation at one of several SURF Seminar Days, symposia modeled on a professional technical meeting.
The 2022 WAVE Fellows award (stipend) will be announced in mid-November. For summer 2021, WAVE Fellows received an award of $6,620 for 10 weeks, a $2,000 housing supplement for campus housing, and travel to and from Caltech. Caltech housing is available and we strongly encourage all Fellows to live on campus. The 2022 WAVE Fellows program dates are June 13 through August 19.
In addition to the research experience, WAVE Fellows will participate in:
- Weekly seminars by Caltech faculty & JPL scientists and engineers
- An academic and professional development series on developing a research career, graduate school admissions, effective writing and oral communications, and other topics of interest to future researchers
- Various social and cultural activities
- Weekly small student-faculty dinners
- Special field trips
The WAVE Fellows program is generously supported by:
Campus partners, including:
Industry and Foundation grantors, including: