Please read all sections of this page before you begin the application process!
Students apply for the WAVE Fellows Program by submitting an online application. Applicants must also request two letters of recommendation from faculty in relevant disciplines or former research mentors. Students must also upload an unofficial transcript.
Applications will be evaluated by Caltech faculty, which will select prospective fellows from the applicant pool. Selected students will be matched with a mentor. Fellowships will be offered when the match has been confirmed.
Students awarded a WAVE Fellowship will be required to submit a project plan after consultation and collaboration with the mentor. The submission of the project plan and fellowship forms by the deadlines will constitute acceptance of the award.
All application documents will be submitted directly to the SFP Online system. Applications are due on or before January 9. The application includes:
- An online application
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty
- The applicant's unofficial transcript.
Recommendation requests are completed online with the application form. The online application will request recommender contact information from the student. The recommender will then be emailed directly and asked to submit their recommendation into the online system. Students are required to submit two letters of recommendation. Recommendations are also due on January 9th so submit your recommender information well in advance.
Identifying a Potential Research Mentor
As part of the application, students will need to clearly state their research interests and identify possible Caltech research mentors. For guidance in the process, please visit: Finding a mentor.
Students are required to submit an unofficial transcript through the online application form.
Applications are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Student has sufficient academic preparation to undertake a research project at Caltech
- Student's prior research experience
- Application provides a clear description of the student's research interests, what the student has done to foster their interests, and student's academic and career goals
- References are supportive
- Student's research interests are aligned with those of a mentor at Caltech
- Student is interested in pursuing a Ph.D.
Notification of awards will be sent on a rolling basis in early March. Students will receive e-mail notification of the outcome of their applications.
Click here to start an application.