Research has always been a big part of the undergraduate experience at Caltech. In fact, today it is one of the main reasons why students choose to come to Caltech. If you want to learn more about SURF and undergraduate research at Caltech, check out this video.
If you are thinking about getting involved in research--it’s a great idea! By participating in research you:
- have the chance to explore various research areas and gain a better understanding of your academic field;
- begin to establish important relationships with faculty, postdoctoral scholars, and graduate students;
- can clarify your academic and career interests and add an important experience to your portfolio;
- can improve upon your scientific communication skills;
- will learn new research techniques and methodologies;
- and, most of all, you will have the opportunity to make an original contribution to a discipline.
These are just a few of the reasons why doing research as an undergraduate is so important. We invite you to review the programs we offer, look at our hints for getting started, and use all of the resources provided on this page. You can do it!