The Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SURF)@JPL provides students the opportunity to conduct research under the guidance of experienced mentors at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
SURF@JPL is modeled on the grant-seeking process:
- Students collaborate with a potential mentor to define and develop a project
- Applicants write research proposals as part of the application process
- Faculty review the proposals and recommend awards
- Students carry out the work over a 10-week period during the summer
- At the conclusion of the program, students submit a technical paper and give an oral presentation
In 2021, Fellows will receive a $7,300 award for the ten-week period.
To enrich the research experience, SURF@JPL Fellows are invited to attend the following:
- Weekly seminars by Caltech faculty & JPL scientists and engineers
- An academic and professional development series on developing a research career, graduate school admissions, and other topics of interest to future researchers
- Various social and cultural activities
- Weekly small student-faculty dinners
- Special field trips