Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST)
The California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST) Undergraduate Research exchange began in 2011. Currently, up to four students from each university can participate annually. The following information is for Caltech students only. GIST students should contact their Dean's Office for application information.
Caltech will nominate up to four students to participate in the exchange. Preference will be given to those who are not Korean students or of Korean descent seeking to spend the summer at home.
Students will complete an application and write a detailed personal statement stating their research interests. Students should spend some time looking at the research of the GIST faculty and suggest several projects/labs that are of interest.
Upon selection, the office of the Dean at GIST will match Caltech students with mentors whose research best matches the students’ interests.
Caltech students will collaborate with the mentor to define and develop the project. The student must write a research plan for the project which is due May 15. See project plan guidelines here.
Financial, Housing, and Board Arrangements
- Caltech will pay the award of $6,000 USD for selected Caltech students going to GIST.
- Students are responsible for travel and housing costs.
- GIST will help secure housing for Caltech students.
- Caltech students will ensure that they have appropriate travel documents for entering South Korea.
- Students must provide proof of health insurance valid in South Korea, which covers medical evacuation and repatriation of remains.