University of Iceland
The California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and the University of Iceland (UI) Undergraduate Research exchange began in 2008. Currently, up to three students from each university can participate annually. The following information is for Caltech students only. University of Iceland students should contact the Rector of Academic Affairs for application information.
Caltech will nominate up to three students to participate in the exchange. Preference will be given to those who are not Icelandic students or of Icelandic descent seeking to spend the summer at home.
Students will complete an application and write a detailed personal statement stating their research interests. Students should spend time looking at the research of the UI faculty and suggest several projects/labs that are of interest.
Upon selection, the office of the Dean at UI will match Caltech students with mentors whose research best matches the students’ interests.
Caltech students will collaborate with the mentor to define and develop the project. The student must write a project plan which is due May 15. See project plan guidelines here.
Financial, Housing, and Board Arrangements
- Caltech will pay an award of $6,000 USD to Caltech students going to UI.
- Students are responsible for travel and housing costs.
- UI will help Caltech students secure housing.
- Caltech students will ensure that they have appropriate travel documents for entering Iceland.
- Students must provide proof of health insurance valid in Iceland, which covers medical evacuation and repatriation of remains.